Re: brake question

To: roy@alphamicron.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake question
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:03:43 EDT
roy@alphamicron.com writes:

> The last
> person took the master cylinder and slave cylinder out with pipe
> cutters, so this will be a full line and brake replacement.  My question
> is:  What is the best way to start?  Should I get a brake kit?  Prebent
> lines, any lines better than others?  I am guessing (and the ex wife is
> paying) that I will be replacing everything so any help is appreciated.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Moss sells a copper/nickel alloy brake pipe set that is all you need.  The
pipes are the correct length but not bent and have all the correct fittings
installed.  It is all numbered and new (bright green!) clips are included.
Remove
the old pipes and bend the new ones to the approximate same shape, then tweak
them as you install.  They are easy to bend.  I bought a pair of pipe benders
but wound up bending mine by hand.

The copper/nickel alloy pipes are much easier to bend than stainless steel,
and they should last just as long.  Beware of copper only pipes.  They are too
soft.

Good luck.  This was a pretty easy job as long as you don't mind working
underneath the car for a while.

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget  (#51 FSP)