Re: timing?

To: <willy@thompsoncarpentry.com>
Subject: Re: timing?
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:24:24 -0700
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Willy,

Could be timing or distributor components or maybe your carbs. It's a
pretty long process to explain the carb tuning (which I have written
up partially many times before). I would make sure that your points
are staying at the .016 gap you set them at (they will often slip
closed even shortly after installing them), and that your rotor and
wires are good, as well as your coil and coil polarity. If none of
that helps, check your throttle shafts for air leakage by spraying
the shafts while the engine is running and see if your idle changes
(you can use something like WD40). If it does, you have worn shafts.
I can give the a couple quick fix ideas. Have you checked your timing
statically or dynamically (timing light)?

Also, make sure that your dashpot pistons are clean and not sticking
and that you aren't using too heavy oil in them.

That should keep you busy for a while!

Gerard

--
One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it.
~French Proverb