Exhaust collector nuts - B question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Exhaust collector nuts - B question
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 11:32:27 -0700
I know... the questions just keep on coming from me, but as my daughter
says when I get annoyed with her, "How will I learn anything if I don't
ask?".

While I wait my chance to slip over to Harbor Freight this afternoon to
pick up a mighty screwdriver for the '77 Midget's fulcrum pins, I'm
working on a '77 MGB.  I got this car to drive around for a while
because the really nice '72 Midget is a thousand driving miles away with
my dad, and the other two cars are up on stands with major work still
underway.  It's running pretty well now that I've fixed the carb.
 Listers may remember my questions about Z-S carbs a few weeks ago.
 Turns out it was missing a freeze plug and a screw holding the choke to
the body, the float needed adjustment, and the choke screws had been
overtightened at one time; which warped the choke face.  A little JB
Weld to fix a gouge and a lot of time with a file got things looking a
whole lot better.

The engine runs well, but is leaking between the exhaust manifold and
the exhaust collector.  I found that one nut was gone, another loose,
and the bolt through the third hole was wiggling as well.  A visit to
Ace Hardware got the replacement bolt, but I'm a little worried about
the replacement nuts I picked up (also, yes, I got a new gasket
yesterday to install while I'm at it).  The bolt went in fine, but the
nuts aren't going on the two studs easily.  This may be because the
threads are buggered up on the studs due to the thing coming lose (the
one old nut I pulled off looked pretty bad inside).  It may also be
because those aren't 5/16" - 18 like I thought they are.

Can anyone tell me if there's something different about those threads?
 Is there also a recommended change from factory on bolting these things
together?

Thanks,

 - Kendel