RE: Pittsburgh Vintage GP

To: "Dave Carpenter" <d.carpenter7@verizon.net>
Subject: RE: Pittsburgh Vintage GP
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:38:08 -0400
Cc: "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Dave,
Yeah, there's always a lot to see at PVGP, but this year was exceptional.
We had 360-some pre-registered, which is up from last year by more than 50.
We were well north of 400 cars on the field for British Car Day, so I'm sure
that the 1700 overall figure was accurate.  We couldn't have asked for
better weather.  I got a semi-good look at your car, while I was standing in
front of it and talking to some friends.  That's really a wonderful car,
Dave!
Burt Levy and our Triumph Club have some history.  Seems that at a party
during the Mid-Ohio event a few years ago, Burt asked a couple of our
veteran members to hold his (full) beer for him, while he ran an errand.
The beer line was long and my buddies were mighty thirsty, so....
Burt: (feigning shock and horror) "Did you guys drink my beer?!!"
Bruce & Ed: "OF COURSE we drank your beer!  We were THIRSTY!"
 Now, just as Burt is a world class race car ride mooch, Bruce & Ed are
world class beer mooches.  They have an uncanny ability to come up with free
beer when no one else can even SUSPECT that there is beer in the vicinity.
They quickly got Burt's beer replenished and a good time was had by all.
On another occasion, at Mid Ohio, Burt was selling copies of his latest book
out of the back of his rental car, in the paddock, to a group of our
(Western PA Triumph Assn) guys when another vendor suggested (jokingly) that
he stop and purchase a vendor's permit.  Burt's response was: "I'm
surrounded by a bunch of drunken British car guys and it's like shooting
fish in a barrel!"
Yep, Burt is quite a character.  He had promised to buy beer for the club,
in return for us letting him sell his books out of our tent, but, I think we
let him slide by.  (Our president is a bit squeamish about having a keg of
beer under the table at BCD, like we always used to)

We watched the races from under some nice, big shade trees, on the outside
of the hairpin leading into the serpentine.  One of my buddies from our
Porsche 356 group was working that corner station, so we got pretty good
information on what was going on around the course.  Glad no one got hurt in
that one!  Sounds like it was a very near thing.

Bud Osbourne