Re: Midget backfire EDT

To: Smsbarnett@cs.com
Subject: Re: Midget backfire EDT
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:01:42 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sms...

It's an emissions engine? Assuming the engine is tuned to spec. and the
emissions hoses, etc. are otherwise in good operating order, you may
need to renew a component of same, such as the
"gulp valve". It takes in a slug of air to
"clean up" the combustion process under
"sudden" deceleration.

I had a buddy who had a '73 with the
closed loop emissions systems (different
engine than the 1500 but similiar emissions set-up I believe) and the
back-firing basically sent him up a tree...
like he was replacing gulp valves almost
monthly on the damn thing. It'd be fine for
a couple of weeks or so after replacement, then the backfiring would
start again. Drove him bananas.

I tried to get him to simply desmog it to
some extent but he just chose instead to get rid of the car....really!

His reasoning was,  "I didn't pay all this
money for a new car to have
to take it apart to get it to work right or
to buy stupid gulp valves for it every
month".

It was difficult to fault his reasoning!! He
replaced it with a VW!

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)