Re: FW: Sprite Windshield

To: Dave Yealy <lbc@littlebitcountry.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: FW: Sprite Windshield
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 00:09:56 -0400
On Monday 04 August 2003 08:07 pm, Dave Yealy wrote:
> I just redid mine on Sunday. You have to place the gasket in the frame
> first. The using a liquid detergent (Dawn was under the kitchen sink) Make
> the edge of the glass slippery, not dripping, with the detergent. Slide the
> top of the glass into the grove and take a small hard plastic stick and
> work the lip up over the glass. Don't use a screwdriver because there is a
> chance of chipping the glass. Work your way around the frame equally on
> both ends. Once I got to the bottom I used a piece of weed wacker line in
> the bottom grove and pulled the bottom lip out over the edge of the glass.
> Took me about 2 hours to figure out and easy way and this worked for me.

You are a better man than I.  I attempted the same a few weeks ago.  My
procedure was as you describe, however I was not "equal on both sides".

I made it to about 75% of the glass into the frame,  with the upper passanger
side corner to finish up.  Then I was working my lip over with my palstic
tool, then suddenly "crack"...followed by my "Aaaargh!"

Fortunately, I had a spare windshield ( I would have not attempted this
otherwise)

Unfortunately, there is now one less original bugeye windshield in the world.

This is a risky operation.   Looking back on it,  I think the best solution is
to cut the frame on one of the lower corners with a fine kerf saw.  Then have
"corner studs" welded in such that a allen head bolt could go in there on an
angle to tighten up the frame.   It would all be hidden by the post and
nobody would even know about it.

Anybody ever heard of such a mod being performed?  Sure would make this job
easier for future generations.  I know this is not in the spirit of keeping
the car original, but it might save a few windshields.