Several unrelated items (all LBC!) (but long)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Several unrelated items (all LBC!) (but long)
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 10:39:05 -0700
Howdy fellow listers.  Several items for you today . . .

At long last my '71 Midget is finished - or has at least moved into the
drive-it-while-maintaining-and-improving stage.  It's been off the road and
in various states of disassembly since 1986; it's the project that has
outlasted several jobs, one marriage, many cats, and about 8 different
residences.  One thing for sure:  it takes up a lot less space and is much
easier to move now!  I had it at the Bellevue, WA, All British Field Meet a
couple weekends ago as it's first outing (it now has about 50 miles on it).

May I list the feature-set, as completed?  Full frame-up, including new
floorboards, heelboard, trans tunnel, cowl (under windshield), and front
cowl (surrounding the grill).  Acura NSX red with a white 3-part racing
strip centered on drivers position.  New Dayton wire wheels (+.5" width over
stock); Frontline Spridget front and rear suspensions, including anti-tramp
bars and Panhard Rod, lowered about 1", upgraded sway bar, etc.  Rivergate
5-spd, balanced engine (+0.020), APT head, Maniflow intake and exhaust
manifolds, 286 cam, Titan 1.625 roller rockers, refurbished interior, dash,
etc.  Stock carbs (rebuilt) and K & N air filter.  Miscellaneous other stuff
. . .  Everything works except one instrument light and the door courtesy
light switches.  Just need to put some miles on it!  I'm still in the "don't
rev it too high" break-in stage, but it feels like it's just starting to get
peppy at about 3500 RPM.  A thousand thanks to all the listers who helped me
get through the project (and you know who you are!).

So now a question:  I didn't get any technical documentation with the roller
rockers, so I called APT and asked what valve clearances I should be
running.  David Anton said that I should go about .016 intake/.018 exhaust,
and that I could go as high as .020/.022!  I am going to go with the tighter
range, but I'm just wondering what the list thinks of these gaps.  Note:  I
originally adjusted them to .014, and do get a small amount of valve clatter
even at that setting.  I would think that the roller rockers' point of
weakness would be the impact shock of "taking up" the valve clearance at the
time of ramp-up to opening.  Perhaps I am mistaken?

Also:  are there any maintenance items that I should be aware of, long-term,
with this engine set-up?  The objective was a medium state of tune suitable
for autocross and street use, with perhaps occasional track days if
possible.

Also:  the accursed harmonic balancer that I installed was indexed
incorrectly (although, in it's defense, I must say that it's shiny and
pretty).  Please imagine my consternation and vile speech as I tried to
figure out how to get the !#$^%* timed correctly for the first time!  I knew
something was wrong, but there were too many variables for my understanding
and I had to get a shop to help me out.  Anyone have any experience to share
regarding either re-marking new index marks or creating another "pointer" to
use the new index marks?  It appears that it's about 180 out, so that might
actually be an improvement!

Lastly, I am now thinking of what should come next.  I have an MGBGT too, so
of course the thought of an engine conversion has crossed my mind.  I've
also considered building a vintage racer of some sort, either Spridget or B.
But last night, I was re-reading "The Works MGs" by Allison and Browning,
and saw pictures of the 1962 Midget coupes built by the factory (pages 222 -
225).  I consider them to be more attractive than the Speedwell coupes now
available through the Toy Shop.  Does anybody know if there are body panels
or conversion kits available?  That could be a real fun project, and one in
which I could use the modest knowledge I've accumulated so far . . .

TIA!

Phil