Re: darn aluminum

To: john@ssrimusic.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: darn aluminum
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:29:34 EDT
In a message dated 8/11/03 11:51:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
john@ssrimusic.com writes:

> .  I accidentally put some
> gouges in the soft metal (aluminum?) on the face of the part that the oil
> filter spins onto (where the rubber seal sits).  Is there any way to easily
> grind down the circular flat area so that I don't get oil spurting from the
> side of my oil filter?  The gouges aren't too deep, but can't just be filed
> down, I presume.

John:

How about some JB Weld in the groove, after cleaning it out well with some
lacquer thinner to remove the grease?  Then sand it smooth and evenly with a
fine emory cloth on a flat surface ir an emory board?  I fixed a gouge in a
head/valve cover surface successfully like that. I have an aluminum head on the
Datsun engine that has two nasty gouges on the surface that I plan on JB
Welding
and sanding smooth as well.

--David C.