Gearbox/clutch question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Gearbox/clutch question
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:25:21 +0000 FILETIME=[A1FCE730:01C36687]
Specs:
71 Midget

Symptom:
Hardshifting into second gear

Details:
Okay - Now I've had a lot of problems with cars in the past, but I don't
know trannies...so here's one for you pros out there.  My 71 midget runs and
drives great.. but...
sometimes it shifts into second easily.. and sometimes I have to spend time
searching for second - I mean to the point where I'm pulling pushing,
gnashing at first in my over-comp, etc.  And then.. suddenly, it pops right
in.

There is never any grinding, never any pop-outs. It's just a pain to find
second. I'd say it's about 50% of the time.

I'm pretty sure it's time for a clutch (hasn't been done in almost ten
years), but is this typical for a bad clutch (I've always encountered more
general problems). Or is this something with the gearbox?

Thanks in advance!

Bill