Re: steering lock broken?

To: <TeachJP@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: steering lock broken?
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 18:02:40 +0100
Jon,
The lock is fixed on with special bolts that have a weak narrow shank. It is
supposed to shear off when the bolt is tightened so that there is no head
left on it to undo.
On my '78, one of the bolts wasn't tightened up full from the factory, and
still had its head so undoing wasn't a problem.  The other I undid by first
drilling a small pilot hole off centre into the end of the headless bolt.
Then with a needle punch and toffee hammer I could tap it round until it
undid.  Easy,' cept for having to lie upside-down in the footwell to do it.

Can I ask a cheeky question though... all these steering locks can catch and
feel stuck unless you just waggle the steering wheel a bit. S'pose that
isn't what you mean is it?

Guy