removing the cowl from a '78 Midget steering column

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: removing the cowl from a '78 Midget steering column
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 10:16:38 -0400
I am faced with having to replace or repair the ignition switch on my '78
Midget.  I intend to pull the assembly off the steering column and either bring
it to a locksmith to replace the cylinder, or have Moss send me a new assembly
for $159 (yuck).  In any event, Haynes (p226) says that step 1 is removing the
steering column entirely.  Is this really necessary?  I see that with the
everything else in place, to remove just the cowling, it would have to be bent
into a shape that it may not want to go into.  Has anyone done this task, and
if so, how?

Thanks,
Steve
immobile 78 Midget