Found it!

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Found it!
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 07:35:26 EDT
You may remember that I have been having steering rack problems, and recently
switched from the late model rack in my '79 to a beefier early model rack.
That all went well but I had two problems:  first, the steering was TIGHT--Way
too tight!  After much discussion with the list I fiddled around with the
spacer--trying none, trying right side, trying left side, and discovered the
spacer should be whereever it is on the RACK placement it came on.  Then I went
the two little tension devices, loosening them to no avail.  Had the tires
aligned--drove straight all right, but steering still stiff and tight--so tight
that when I turned a corner I had to manually turn the wheel back to straight.

Secondly, the steering ball ends were replaced with Vicky Brit components,
and when I received them I noted that they were different than the originals,
were made in Taiwan, and had the boots permanently crimped on, with no lip to
be
able to use new boots.  That means if the boots need replacing you have to
replace the entire end.  Well less than a hundred miles use and the boots were
indeed split (both sides).

Now the problems are solved.  In the first instance, I had removed the
steering wheel to replace it in the correct position straight ahead.  In the
second
instance, I called Vicky Brit about the split boots and they are giving me
credit for them, then I called Peter C. and ordered some GOOD steering arm ball
ends from him--made in England--and much better quality and replacable boots.
THEN after replacing the steering ends with the Peter C ends and again getting
the wheels aligned, and STILL suffering the stiff steering, I again pulled
the steering wheel to straighten it again, and I found the problem!  Voila!  I
didn't realize it, but under the steering wheel, on the column is a plastic
piece with two slots for tabs in it.  On the steering wheel are two tabs that
are
supposed to fit into these two slots.  When I first straightened the wheel,
not realizing the tabs were on the steering wheel, I just replaced the steering
wheel, inadvertently jamming the tabs UNDER the plastic piece and not into
the slots.  THAT made the steering stiffer than a prude in a churchhouse.

Now I have good steering arm ball ends, the steering wheel tabs are in the
slots, and everything, with the steering, is hunky-dory.  And MAN is this old
style steering rack QUICKER than the later model!

--David C.