Bugsy's Handling Problems - A confirmed diagnosis

To: spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Bugsy's Handling Problems - A confirmed diagnosis
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:21:05 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks to all who offered suggestions on Bugsy's handling problems. As I wrote
to the list, Bugsy felt as if body would take a "set" as he went into a turn
but then as cornering force was maximized, it felt like axle would shift
underneath the car and make things shift and feel like car was going to come
around tail first. A quick lane change would result in as best I'd describe a
"tail wagging" attitude that was quite unsettling. Springs were examined.
Didn't appear to be a broken sping but I did see evidence of DS Tire rubbing
inside of fenderwell. At this point I knew I had a definite problem going on
and it may have been going on for a real long time. With not having another
Spridget to compare handling I may have been driving car this way for last 1
1/2 years and attributing handling this way to being a Spridget.

Jacked up the car and removed bolts on front spring mount. Managed of course to
snap off one of the bolts with the impact wrench. Now need to drill out and
retap. Much to my surprise I removed the bracket and discovered a large V
shaped instead of O round hole on inside DS Bolt hole for Spring mount. The
entire spring mounting bracket was moving and rotating and the whole axle was
moving around. V shaped hole had grown to it was within 1/8" of the edge of the
spring bracket( photos are available). It looks as if some DPO had reinstalled
springs some time in the past and did not use the proper size bolts to secure
the bracket through the floor behind the seats. Found a 3/8" 24 bolt there
instead of a 7/16 or 5/8" bolt.  This allowed bracket to flex and move around.
Pulling PS Springs show elongated holes and both mounts were trashed and will
be replaced.

I took the springs down to local Spring Shop where they straightened and
aligned leaves on DS. Guy says 1 1/2" spring strapping clamps are unobtanium
materials so he pounded clamps tight and changed the arch of the spring by 1".
Hopefully this will help to cure Bugsy of his liberal tendencies when he is at
rest(you know he leans to the left). Not sure if things will line up properly
as spring is now 1" shorter end to end without any weight on the spring but
that will change as spring compresses. Hopefully not an issue.

Guy at spring shop spent 20 minutes with torch and press removing old bushings
from front of springs, rearched the springs and when I asked how much he said,
"We'll take care of it next time you're in to press in the front bushings"
Great service and didn't cost anything yet. Wow. Interesting seeing old
machinery still working and functioning as part of an almost lost art of
bending and making springs. This place has been here something like 75 years in
the same place.

Anyway, new Spring Mounts, Bushings, Nuts, and Bolts are all ordered. Will be
very interesting to see the difference in Bugsy's handling and to see if he now
sits level. Weather is perfect today for top down 75 and sunny. Come on UPS,
get those parts here fast.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH