Re: [midgetsprite] Transmission stuck in 1st

To: <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Transmission stuck in 1st
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:55:56 +0100
Hi Brad,

The selector fork fits around a gear cluster and should move that forward.
Lever on the cluster not the bronze fork.

What happens is that the gear moves axially along splines/ teeth.  There are
3 spring loaded plungers fitted radially betwen the two sliding parts.  The
outer gear cluster moves too far along the inner and these plungers "pop"
out, and wont readily go back in to allow the outer cluster to slide back
out of gear.

They can be shocked back in if you pry on the gear cluster rather than the
selector; Or (better) you can depress the plungers back in whilst prying at
the same time.

The cause of all this is either a worn selector fork, or the bolt fastening
the selector fork has worked loose.

The solution is new fork, properly tightened.  Or the "we tight" version
which is to add a suitable washer to the shaft that the selector moves with,
between the case and the selector, to limit the amount or for-aft movement.

One driving habit which can cause this is if you rest your hand on the gear
shift whilst "crawling" in traffic in first gear.  Now, how do I know that
?!!

AND, if it does stick in first, you can get it out again by driving it and
pulling hard backwards on the gearshift lever at the same time.  It will
complain, but eventually will jump back into neutral.

Guy