RE: Go fast suspension set up 2003 17:11:08 -0600

To: mhanna@ball.com (Hanna, Mark)
Subject: RE: Go fast suspension set up 2003 17:11:08 -0600
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:53:23 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Good question, Mark...

You might make out better on this posting
to the yahoo Bugeye list. I know there are
guys on that list that race their BE's. Some have modified the factory
set-up
while some others have gone over to
Mazda rear set-ups, etc.

I did all sorts of suspension mods to my
PO'd tuned '74 Spridget, inclusive of
lowering all around a full inch but I haven't
really "touched" my BE to any great
extent, mainly 'cause I no longer "drive
it like I stole it". I mean I move along
but not like I used to. The prolilferation
of deer in my area has a lot to do with
this. They're everywhere these days.

Nontheless, my BE handles very, very
well for a street application.

The car came with a WheelRite tube
shock set-up. Were this not the case,
it would sporting slightly more stiff than
stock "Peter C's" in the front and stock-valved ones in the rear.

The shocks that came with the WR
kit were overly stiff, so I went
to Corvette length KYB GR2's....not near
as bouncy..much better. No panhard bar.

Stock springs all around, but 3/4 Addco
front swaybar. Also 5.5" Westerns
and 175/70 Touring T/A's. Running
25psi front, 22psi rear for near "neutral"
handling, with some initial understeer.

In the dry, the car really corners like a
bandit...like it's on rails. Excellent.
You definitely have to be strapped in
to even approach it's "limit". It stays
very flat with no "rubbing" problems in the rear.

I'd dial up www.yahoogrops.com and join
the BE list...you might get better response
and info for your purposes.

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)