Re: Miata-No LBC

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Miata-No LBC
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 17:14:58 -0700
Cc: Brad Fornal <toyman@digitex.net>, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
I changed the radiator cap because of an article on a Miata web site
that said "if you hear a sound like a coffee percolator after shut down,
then the rad cap is weak.  Sounded good to me, so I replaced it.  Well,
the percolator sound is gone, but after looking under the hood while it
warmed up to see if the thermostat was opening (feel the top hose) I
noticed that the coolant was leaking out of the top hose at the
radiator.  A few turns of the screw driver on the clamp and no leak.
Success is still elusive though.  I noticed the overflow tank was
bubbling like a hose in a fish tank!  There is a constant flow of air
into the top hose when the thermostat opens.  Is this a bad head
gasket?  The flow was apparently greater with the old weaker rad cap.
The new one only lets a trickle of air out. So is air from the head
gasket heating up the coolant?  Dependable Japanese cars my a**.
Mike MacLean