Bugeye Bonnet Fasteners

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Bugeye Bonnet Fasteners
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:16:41 EDT
Hello all,

I'm not getting any postings from the group (probably AOL again!), but I have
an urgent question, so I thought that I would post it anyway.

My 1974 Midget "bugeye in waiting" is about to get a fiberglass bugeye bonnet
with mild flares from Spridgetech.  While discussing the final details with
Rod Hahneman (the owner of Spridgetech) this morning, he mentioned that I had
to make a choice about how to hold down the bonnet. I'm going with a front
hinge, but the bonnet needs to be fastened at the top to prevent bouncing at
high
speed.  The choices are: (1) two screw-type fasteners about 1/2" in diameter
evenly spaced at the top of the bonnet which go through to the cowl and fasten
by turning a half turn, or (2) a clamp fastener (like a ski boot latch) on
each wing of the bonnet that attach at the bottom near the sills.

Any experience out there, or opinions from the list as to which works better
or looks better?  In my opinion the screw-type device has a racer look to it
while the clamp has more of a classic look.  Any other options that listers
have used?

Thank you.

Steve Swarin
sswarin@aol.com