New dizzy for A series engines

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, sprite mod list <spridgets-mod@autox.team.net>
Subject: New dizzy for A series engines
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:35:21 -0400
Tinkerers and the rest of the list.

I have accomplished modifying and installing an Isuzu dizzy to work in
my Sprite.
This is very similar to the Hitachi dizzy but it fits better, looks more
stock, and has a clip on cap.
It has about the same advance curve, a very smooth vacuum advance plate
riding on small ball bearings so it advances smooth and quick. It
rotates the correct anti clockwise direction, and the dizzy cap is
numbered for the plug wires which are in just about the original local
as the stock Lucas dizzy.
It is a 2 wire electronic unit. I got mine from a junk yard for $10 and
it took about an hour to modify with a grinder and a drill.
The shaft has to be cut down and the dizzy case has to be cut by about a
1/4" off the bottom. Redrill the shaft for the Lucas drive dog, grind
the clamp base to fit the Lucas clamp, and it's done.
I only drove arounf the neighborhood but it works just fine, and it
seems smoother like the Hitachi but it fits better and looks neater.
So now you can have an Izzy Dizzy in your Spridget (if you want)
Why did I do this? Because I just happened to notice the Isuzu dizzy was
a counter clockwise dizzy and it looked like it would fit. B esides, I
tried this a year ago only to have a bum electronic unit in the dizzy I
grabbed from the junk yard and I was not about to be defeated.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ