[Fwd: Re: NON -LBC need help identifying engine]

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: NON -LBC need help identifying engine]
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:19:40 -0500
Use a diluted hydrochloride acid with 12 volts DC coursing through the metal to
try to bring up the numbers when they have been obliterated...

If it works, the numbers will appear as blacked spots on the metal. View with
magnification and they might be legible. It does not work every time but I have
used this method to identify stolen vehicles in the past. It seems to work best
on aluminum but the numbers are more often recovered from steel. Other methods
(read really expensive) work well on steel. High density x-rays can pick up the
tensile fracture in steel from stamped numbers...

Kent
1960 Bugeye
1978 Midget
1972 MGB