driving Chuck's bugeye

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: driving Chuck's bugeye
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:42:21 -0500
This past Saturday I took a drive out to PA and visited Chuck, to take him
up on his offer to drive his "old bugeye" to compare it against the
experience of driving a 1500.   Well, Mike G. noted here that "If you wanna
play, at least play fair.  Even 1275 guys end up with a
shite-eating-grin after driving/driving in your bugeye."  I should've known
I was "in for it" right there.

I pulled into Chuck's driveway, and there was this innocent looking bugeye
(never mind the racing markings and the extra-wide tires) and Chuck, toiling
away over some guy's fender.  Chuck showed me around the car, and then
proceeded over the next half hour to tell me its' story: it's 44 year long
racing history, past owners, and how its been tweaked by Chuck over the last
29 years to within an inch of it's life, including revving up to 12,000 rpm.
And then he said, "OK, take it out.  Have fun".

I began to think maybe I made a little mistake.  What if I took the thing
out and some damned cow got in the way?  Or some farmer in his pickup
decided that I wasn't worth stopping for?  I began to feel like I was taking
a "tiny" chance even sitting in this thing.  But then, what the hell.

Holy S--T!  That thing is a monster!  It took it's time going from 0-10mph
(the 4.2 diff?),  but after that, amazing!  It went though the twisty road
near Chucks house like it was on (very wide) rails.   I shifted by hearing
as the tach was not hooked up (only went up to 6k - Chuck doesn't want to
break it) and set my speed by feel as the speedo was wrong (set up for a
different diff).   It plainly felt like a car that could do a whole lot more
than I was asking of it.   I began to get the impression it was getting
bored with me.

I think I still need to find a spridget to compare my 1500 to - this thing
is in another league altogether.

Afterwards, Chuck took the wheel and gave me a little ride.  All I can say
is, I am grateful there was a solid handhold on the dash in front of me!
When I drove it, by the time I made it to the end of Chucks' street, I was
in 3rd gear.  He got it there in first, with the motor producing a sound no
other spridget anywhere would dare make.  Yikes!

So afterwards I get home and say "hey Honey, I got to drive a race car
today!".   Chuck, thanks for trusting me with it.

I took some pictures and a short video.  I will post them to a webpage in a
bit and pass on the URL.

Steve
a mere '78 Midget