Re: GPS Questions - No LBC

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GPS Questions - No LBC
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 14:18:50 -0800
The accuracy is really something with the GPS.  We were exploring some of
the old mines in the back reaches of Death Valley.  We used a map program on
a PC to determine the exact longitude and lattitude of several critical
junctions of long forgotten dirt mine roads.  We loaded the information into
the GPS(Garmin) and headed out into the night.  We got into DV at about 1am
and started navigating the maze of dirt roads by GPS.  Each time a junction
was indicated by the GPS we found that we were right on it.  The last turn
indicated by the GPS eluded us so we parked where it said it should be and
rolled out the bags for the night.  By dawn light we saw that we had slept
about 10 feet from the remains of the old mine road we were looking for.
Brush and time had camoflaged the first few feet of the road that the GPS
had correctly located.

These things are GOOD!

Glen