brake modifications '69 sprite

To: midgetsprite group <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: brake modifications '69 sprite
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:33:33 -0800 (PST)
The saga continues. When last we left Spriteville....

I installed the newly resleeved and rebuilt master
cylinder. During installation, and cleaning up the
system, I discovered that the shuttle in the dual
system switch assembly was leaking(and the warning
switch was also non-op) so I removed it, having no way
to determine if the system was balanced. Worked
fine...for awhile. After some harsh, but fun, driving
I noticed a sponginess in the brake pedal and next the
system failed, no stop. Checking the master cylinder I
found the front half low on fluid. Odd...since there
is no shuttle or stoppage in the dual system switch
assembly it seems like both master cylinder reservoirs
should have emptied.
Pulled all wheels and find no leaks in the wheel
cylinders, or anywhere else. Checked the BMC and there
is no fluid residue around it. Could I possibly have
had a huge air bubble in the system and just worked it
out? Or maybe the bad brake fluid fairy absconded with
half of my fluid? My next step is to order the "repair
kit" for the switch shuttle, rig up some kind of
temporary shuttle warning light and see what happens.
Otherwise maybe bypassing the dual system by linking
the brake lines directly together would work. I know
the engineers put a lot of thought into the system so
maybe just doing what I can to reconstruct it would be
the best all around.

Lemme know whatcha think.
cheers, bill b.