Re: Donuts 09:26:37 -0800

To: pythias@pacifier.com (Bill L)
Subject: Re: Donuts 09:26:37 -0800
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 13:01:01 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net (spridgets)
Well, Bill...

My BE sits most of the winter for exactly
the "salt" reason. Personally, I would prefer they pack the snow down
and cinder the hell out of it but this ain't
about to happen!!

There is a "whole economy" dependant on
"educating" people that salt is necessary
(up in these metropolitan parts at least)
in the interests of safety wherin it is obvious with modern materials
that simple
easy to remove and install "fabricated"
chains would be the way to go.

I'm no plastics man but I would think they
might have something today in "studs" that would be effective without
ruining
road surfaces as well (though maybe not
yet? But maybe in the future?)

My education in these matters allows that
my front wheel drive GTi is extremely safe
in the snow....all we all have to really do is SLOW THE HELL DOWN in
contaminated conditions, leave more time
in which to travel on those really rough
days and forget time as a priority once
we are in reality, on the road.

As for rain, I'm a year round top down guy
since I got the GTi a couple of years ago.
In very light rain or intermittent light non-
freezing stuff it's out there. If it gets heavy, I drop into a cafe or
roadstop for
coffee, the priority being to keep water
out of the cockpit for the sake of (carpets)
the floors (read "rust"!:).

The tonneau cover is basically
always on the car and my Moss
Tyvek car cover is always along for the
ride as well. I love this cover. Cheap and
effective, dries rapidly and rolls up into
ball for easy carriage aboard. One of the
best $50 "investments" in "daily driver"
LBC longevity along with the chamois
I carry in the car as well.

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)