Re: What makes a good snow car?

To: gjbranch@comcast.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What makes a good snow car?
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:29:56 EST
In a message dated 12/14/03 4:27:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
gjbranch@comcast.net writes:

> What makes a car good in the snow?  I just came back from a 1 1/2 hour trip
> in
> the snow, driving the wife's VW station wagon, and durned if that ain't the
> best
> vehikle I've ever driven in the slop.  Never mind all that traction control,
> ABS
> stuff, (which it has and is grand), but even discounting the fancies, this
> thing
> is like a tank.  It just goes where you point it and turns when you tell it
> too.
> My Taurus (bain of my existence, what a horrible car) wagon scares the pants
> off
> me in the snow.  What's the difference?

Not sure about the difference between the VW and the Taurus, but I think two
factors play into what makes a good snow car:  wheel size and weight over the
drive wheels (tire treads being equal, of course).  When I was learning to
drive, my Dad had a '57 Chevy and a '39 Dodge.  The Chev had 14" wheels and the
Dodge had, I think, 16" wheels.  The old Dodge would go like a tank in the
snow, where the Chevy would spin out.  The Dodge also weighed A LOT more than
the
Chevy, which I think helped with the traction.

--David C.