Re: Introduction & Question

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Introduction & Question
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:24:09 -0600
Cc: "'thcollin@mtu.edu'" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Welcome Professor!

As a Michigan troll, I can say the Keweenaw is an excellent place for a
Spridget!  One of those bike antennas with the orange flag on the end is
helpful when you need to find the car in the morning though. Let us all know
how much snow you have from time to time.  Some listers live in climates
where they can't enjoy the beauty of winter and have to drive their LBCs all
year long.

JohnD
Chelsea, MI

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:27:42 -0500
From "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin at mtu.edu>
Subject: Introduction & Question

Greetings to all

I have been on the Spridgets list for a few weeks now but this is my first
post. I own a 1966 AH Sprite that has been a long, long, term project. I
recently retired so am back at the restoration once again. I am located in
the U.P. of Michigan in the Keweenaw peninsula on Lake Superior. We get
lots and lots of snow here. The year I did drive my Sprite in the winter I
couldn't see over the snow banks. I did drive a VW Rabbit for years that
was pretty good in the snow and, as someone already mentioned, driving
backwards can significantly improve winter traction in a front wheel car
(weight shift and better gearing). I must navigate a 17% grade to get home.
I live on a private road so backing up the hill wasn't nearly the problem
it would have been had it been a public highway.

Now to my Sprite question. I am working on the switch for the turn signals.
In the catalogs it is the one identified as the 1098 switch. The turn
signal stalk has a little white (almond / yellowed?) plastic part near the
column that works like a cam in that this is the part that gets bumped to
spring back the stalk to the neutral position after a turn. The little legs
have broken off. It appears the part is replaceable, but I haven't found a
source for just that part. This list seems to be my best chance for finding
someone (anyone) who might know about such things. It appears that the
plastic did not age well. It looks like the plastic became brittle and
cracked. A used part might possibly be in the same condition, but a used
part might be my best option other than purchasing the entire switch from a
parts supplier.

Suggestions? Help!!

Timothy H Collins, Dean - Professor and Dean Emeritus
School of Technology
Michigan Technological University