Re: Oil Consumption Question

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Consumption Question
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:43:52 -0600
> An engine cannot begin consuming a quart of oil to the extent of every
> 100 miles without either excessive smoking or excessive leakage, or both!
:)

Sure it can, Cap'n Bob, provided your point of view is that of the driver.
When driving down the road, a qt/100m problem can go completely unobserved
by the car in question. The driver of the car behind, however, tends to have
a very different perspective. My guess would be that a ring broke, but there
are a number of other possibilities as well. My advice would be to do a
dry/wet compression check right away and stop running it immediately if it
looks like a ring problem.
David Lieb