was pressure reg. suggestion. now old times/epic drives

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Subject: was pressure reg. suggestion. now old times/epic drives
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 11:34:29 -0500
Cc: "Michel R. Gagne" <mgagne@unc.edu>, "spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
It's been a fun discussion, which (I hope) is what the spridget talk list
all about.  I haven't had the time, for the last several months, to
participate much on either this list or 356Talk.  With high water on my end
of the river for the next few days, I'll either have a lot of time on my
hands or none at all (I'm a marine surveyor).  So far, none of my clients
have hit or sunk anything, so, I've got time.
Anyhow, following my "confession" post, I got to thinking about some "epic"
drives, of days gone by, in what is now vintage iron.  Memories of cruising
a '66 MGB, in company of a 'friend's '65 MGB across Indiana, Illinois and
Iowa at 65-70 mph, into the teeth of a January (1968, to be exact) snow
storm, on snow-covered, deserted Interstates and two lane Iowa roads.  On
bias-ply, summer treads.  In a strong cross-wind.  No margin for error, for
SURE.  YAHOOOOO!!!
Or one of several return trips (Iowa to Pittsburgh, to see a girl friend) in
that same MGB, on those same damn tires, through snow, sleet and freezing
rain, always at night.  Similar trips made in 356s and my '67 beetle were
also memorable, for a variety of reasons.  But, ya know, if I'd had all of
the modern "stuff" that many of us are putting on our LBCs now, back then,
it would have diminished the experiences greatly by making things too sane,
safe and predictable.  Think about it, guys.  The "unknown element" makes
life much more interesting and challenging.  Without challenge, we don't
function nearly as well nor (in my opinion) is life nearly as enjoyable.
So, I continue to use original type ignition systems and fuel pumps.  My Mk
I Midget will return to the road, this summer (after at least 25 years of
inactivity) with it's original, Lucas generator supplying "juice" to an all
O.E. type electrical system.  It will, however, have an SU electric (not
electronic) fuel pump supplying fuel to a 1275, driving through a rib-case
gearbox, however.  And the tires will be radials and the front brakes will
be discs....but it'll all be O.E. type, merry old England type stuff.  Sure,
I'll never quite get there, but, I'm always going to be trying to turn back
the hands of time.  In my opinion, it just doesn't get any better than that.
Bud Osbourne