RE: Engine-Trans Combos (early cars)

To: "'Dean Swanson'" <d.swanson@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Engine-Trans Combos (early cars)
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:47:56 -0800
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
In the first place there are no flywheels that will bolt to any
transmission without machining.  The flywheel bolts to the engine in all
cases.
        I can't speak on the later 1275 cars but do have personal
experience with the 948/1098's.  Any flywheel will bolt to any engine in
this class.  The problems come when you want to replace a smoothcase
tranny with a ribcase one.  The stamped thin backing plate on the 948
will need to have the lip on the top removed for an early ribcase and
replaced with the thicker 1098 backing plate for a later ribcase.  In
the old days I ran a 948 with the 1098 plate, flywheel, clutch, and
ribcase with no problems at all.  The advantage to this being, in the
larger arm type clutch, instead of the 6 or 9 spring finger type.
        I now run a stock 948 engine, backing plate, flywheel, clutch,
and smoothcase tranny in one bug-I and the other one has a popcorn 1098
with Datsun clutch and 5-speed tranny. My plans for an 80hp 948 and 12V
1275 hot dog engines are on hold for now.
        I see no difference between replacing a smoothcase with a
ribcase or 5-speed as far as originality goes.  They are both non-stock
and the 5-speed is a much better unit. I hope this helps.
                Crash

Has anyone compiled a list of what A-series engines, with what
backplate, and what flywheel will bolt to what transmission without any
machining?
Dean
'62 A.H. Sprite mkII