Re: Tire'ed of playing the game

To: type79@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Tire'ed of playing the game
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:13:56 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
type79@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> This may seem far-fetched, so excuse me for suggesting it, but how about
> patronizing a legitimate local business.

Exactly! Even when I buy tires from Tire Rack, my local (owned) shop
mounts them for me. The last time it was no charge.
I do get there late in the day and I know what brand of beer they like.
I also toss them a $20 when ever they do something for nothing which is
a few times a year. I stop there with my pick up to get the nail holes
plugged regularly too.  BUT when I need tires for my truck or other car,
I go there and tell them what I want. I don't shop around. they know me
and treat me right.
And now they know how to do wire wheels. They told me they didn't want
to hurt them and I told them to try one and see if they could do it.
I went for the beer, when I came back, he was all excited and said it
was simple as long as you do it the old school way. So I told him to put
some new rubber on all the wires. He was worried about tubes, none in
stock but said since all the old tires held air, he would try to save
the tubes. He did.
Try THAT at a major chain store. In fact, when I went for tires "on
sale" at a major chain, they would not sell me tubeless tires for wire
wheels because there was a "liability" factor in using the wrong tires.
I told them the 20 year old tires already on the wire wheels are
"tubless" they worked back then.
Since then I don't even think about anybody but my local guys.
They even let (make) me jack up the Sprite and undo the lug nuts.
and they let me use their impact gun but I do the final tighening by hand.

If everyone avoids their local owned merchant, there will soon be no
local owned shops.
Try getting a Bugeye windhield installed at a chain owned glass shop.
Wire wheels done a chain owned tire shop.
Ask Dunkin Donuts if they can write 12 little kids names on each donut
for a birthday party?
Ask Pepboys if they will let you dig thru their brake light switches so
you can find a mechanical one to adapt to some old english car?

Imagine a world where shopping means either Wal*Mart or Home Defect only!

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ