Re: NLBC - Unions

To: kgb@frontiernet.net, PilotRob@webtv.net
Subject: Re: NLBC - Unions
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:27:55 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 01/30/2004 1:16:45 PM Mountain Standard Time,
kgb@frontiernet.net writes:
Do we ever!  I was about as anti-union as they come, until I went to work
for the local transit district.  I woke up one morning to 2" of glare ice
with an inch of rain on top of it.
.

OK, here I go on the soap box.  I fully admit there is/was a need for unions,
but the problem is, if there wasn't a totally advasarial relationship before
the unions came in, there will be after they get there.  I'm not saying this
is the unions fault, just my experience.

In the union shops where I have worked (as management) the workforce almost
to a man (person) worked to the lowest allowable level.  Management came up
with schemes, er policies to try and force them to work harder, and it finally
became a game of "let me see how I can get out of as much work as possible" vs
"lets see what we can do to fire anyone and everyone at any time".

Doesn't sound very productive, huh?  With the exception of UPS, union
trucking companies work some 20% less efficiently than the non union ones.  The
"lets
get 'em" attitude of the management must cost at least half of this.

I've worked as management in union shops and non-union.  I much prefer the
latter.  My first day as a dispatcher on a Teamster dock when I walked out and
asked the highest seniority driver to dock and trailer and he told me "I pass"
will always be in my memory.  This from a fellow we let slide when he came to
work drunk and pulled a knife on another Teamster.

Robert Houston

COP QUOTES

"Someone, somewhere is practicing. If you're not,
and someday, if you should meet, you will lose."

"Shoot them until they think they're dead."

"I don't believe they should use the electric chair, they
need to use electric bleachers."