Re: Western Minilites

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Western Minilites
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 22:24:02 EST
In a message dated 2/8/2004 9:43:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
toyman@digitex.net writes:

> I just recently received a set
> of Western Minilites. I have
> lined up the lug nuts, but I
> have yet to settle on a set of
> centers. Cap'n Bob has sent me
> a link to Prestige Wheels, but
> the centers stand out 2 1/4".
> I would hope that there may be
> something a little less
> obtrusive.

I have a set of stock Western Wheel centers. I know Larry Miller put a set of
these Prestige Wheels centers on his wheels. I am sure he will chime up once
he reads this post.

As for lug nuts, you will need to get a set of mag style lugs, with a .680
shank, and washers. You can get 7/16 ones from Prestige wheel also. I already
had a set of these, but looked around without any luck for 3/8 ones. I ended up
drilling out my hubs, axles, and brake drums, and installing 7/16 studs. I
used Dorman 610-259 for the front (1 3/4" long) and Dorman 610-157 (2 1/8 long)
for the rear studs. A 15/32 drill for worked well for the press fit, and 1/2"
for the clearance holes.

I did this all with a drill press, and bench vise to press the studs into
place. I couldn't really hold the hubs, etc., with a drill press vise, so I
made
up a jig out of 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood with 3 carriage bolts on the 4" bolt
center and wing nuts, worked well for me. I can give you more details if you
decide to go this route.

If you go back to the prior posts, you will see alot of banter about what
color to paint the center spokes. I powder coated mine a gun metal grey with a
"semi gloss" sheen and they look great if I say so myself.

David Oliner