74 Midget steering rack ?

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Midgetsprite" <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: 74 Midget steering rack ?
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:32:50 -0500
Tonight the steering seemed to have a lot of play in it.  Upon separating
the tie rods from the rack I discovered no plastic cups or shims.  I can't
seem to find the cups in the catalogs.  Unless I have overlooked them, VB
and Moss don't carry the plastic cups that go in the rack where the tie rods
connect to the rack.  They carry the shims but no cups.  Sooooo, does
anybody have a line on where to find the cups in the US?  Also are they
really necessary?  It appears from the pictures I have found that they
provide so kind of centering function.  Is this correct?  What would be the
result of using shims with no cups?

TIA,
Tad R.
69 MGC GT