Screwed on the Internet

To: healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Screwed on the Internet
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:36:34 -0800 (PST)
After my paean to Spring, you'd probably think all is
just swell in Healeyland.  Not so, Healey friends.
You may remember I purchased a Healey-Jamaican over
the internet a few months ago.  The bottom line is I
was defrauded and I'm probably out $2,500. The car was
advertised on eBay.  Because of what I do for a
living, I tend not to be the most trusting of people,
but I let my guard down in this case and was taken to
the cleaners. I don't want to go into details, because
it's painful, but I've seen lots of postings from
people who say they've had nothing but great
experiences on eBay.  Maybe so, but there's a lot of
jerks out there waiting to rip you off.  Nobody's
going hungry in my household over this.  Frankly, I
don't have any words of advice for you how to avoid
getting taken.  Maybe one, if you use a Discover card
on PayPal, they won't reimburse you for non-delivery
of an item, although I understand Visa and Mastercard
will (ask me how I know, and double check for yourself
to make sure) Personally, this is the last time I'll
try to buy anything over the internet.  I'm pretty
upset and have been kicking my own butt over this,
because my experiences with people in the car hobby
over the years has been overwhelmingly positive and
it's not fun having to try to track somebody down over
something you do for a hobby.  Bottom line, if you
can't afford to lose the money, don't buy unless you
have the goods in your hot little hands.

Unhappy Healeying,
Rick