Started my first Sprite refrub last night (warning: egan/levy wannabe c

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Started my first Sprite refrub last night (warning: egan/levy wannabe content)
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 10:01:06 -0500 FILETIME=[5AD62C60:01C40130]
Well, I did it.  I started working on my MKIII sprite last night.

Some basic history of the car.  It's a long, windy tale, in and out and
around LBC's, Sprites, Rivergate Racing/5 speed, etc.

I bought the car from Jamie, a college buddy of mine, who introduced me to
my wife back at Auburn University (Auburn, AL, USA) in 1990.  He always
spoke of his Sprite, and I being a carnut since I was born, always wanted to
hear about it.  He didn't have it at the time, but couldn't wait until his
Dad brought it down from Erie, PA.

Finally, Jamie got it to school.  Parked it outside his apt. complex, under
a huge Oak tree.  It ran on/off for years, as his college shoestring budget
allowed.  Our buddy Wendell (my drummer) had a 1100 Austin Cooper, so at any
given time usually one of the LBC's in my life was running.

Jamie finally got discouraged not having enough time/money to keep the
Sprite running reliably, so he bought a clapped out Golf, and parked the
Sprite.  We graduated, he kept it over the years, and as he moved around the
country always trailered the little LBC along with him.

Fast forward 13 years.  He's moved back to the South from Ohio, IL, to Rock
Hill, S.C.  I am passing through town on a marathon run from Atlanta, GA to
Martinsville, VA, and back, to run home a relative.  I decide to stop by and
visit, and lay eyes on the old Sprite.  He mentions to me that it's for
sale, he needs to get rid of it to make room for his CRX, which btw is
Rivergate Racing's CRX team car #34 - you can see it here
(http://www.rivergate5speed.com/competition.html) and a pic of Jamie here
(http://www.rivergate5speed.com/drivers.html), if you care.

For the past few years (96-00) I had been crewing for Jamie and the Perry's,
helping out the ITC CRX's and their pristine RWA Midget ITD car.  So I was
very familiar w/ their 5spd conversion, Bill's perspective of Sprites vs.
all other LBC's, etc.  I was also a Triumph guy at the time, banging around
in a rough '72 Delphin Blue Spitfire.  I loved it, it was fun to drive, but
always wanted a Sprite, so when my first daughter was born, I sold it for
what I had in it - $1300.

"Oh, man, I just sold my Spitfire, I don't need to be looking at this" I
said.  "Let's take off the cover."

"$500 and it's yours", he said.  "I'd really like to sell it to someone I
know."

"Well, I gotta check with the Boss", I say, and prepare to head out to
Atlanta.  I get on the cell phone about a mile from Jamie's house, and call
my wife.  "You need to buy it," she says.  "Only $500, well that's a
no-brainer!"  God I love Jamie...  and my wife!  Good people.

So I call Jamie back, and it's a done deal.  $500, and he'll bring it down
to me.  How's that for service.  Like I said, he's a GOOD friend.

Back to the story.  So, last night I clear it off, remove the bonnet, and
start taking a look at what I've got to deal with.  I have an email from
Frank C. on getting a project going (gravity feed a fuel system, check oil,
battery, see if it'll fire up, etc.).

I vacuumed out 14 year old acorns from that huge Oak tree in Auburn Alabama!

Then I vacuum out the engine compartment - rat or mouse evidence in there.
Checked out the home-fab'd hydraulic lines under the hood - this WAS Jamie's
first car in High School, and there's lots of shadetree stuff in this car.
Take out the battery, under the plastic tray the metal is paper thin - like,
it moves when I vacuum thin.  Guess I'll be getting that welder - which is
fine, 'cuz I wanna build a hot LBC powered Locost someday anyway, but that's
a WHOLE 'nother story.

Got oil.  Looks good, actually, for a car that hasn't run in 14 years.  Need
a new battery.  Carbs are in a box...  I pull out two SU's, they're mostly
complete except for the floats and other pieces are missing.  They're either
in the box or in S.C.  Or Erie, PA.  Someway, I'll find it.  Then I look at
the engine, it's got a Weber Downdraft manifold on it.  Then I remember that
Jamie had 2 carbs for it, and the Weber is in his shop in S.C.   So I'm
either gonna get it and fool w/ it, or get some spacers, heatshield, and the
rest of the missing SU stuff and hook up the traditional carbs - which is
the road I'm leaning towards.

Didn't I just read a thread about how Downdraft Webers don't work well on
BMC A engines?

So, I can't fire her up until I figure out this scenario.  I'll be looking
for SU stuff, so if anybody has some spares laying around, let me know.
I'll post more of what I need later this week.

I did get to sit in the cockpit w/ my 2 daughters (Kara almost 4, Haley just
turned 1) and make vroom vroom Speedracer sounds.  Now that was cool!

Kara asked the question of the hour - "Daddy, why are you working on this
car?"

"I don't know, dear," I replied.  "I don't know..."

Then the next question - "Are you gonna give it away?"

The car?  Are you crazy, I'm thinking?  "Well, maybe to you - but not until
I get another one for your sister!"

I did join the AHCA today.  That's a start, right?

It's a sickness, and I love it!

Obligatory website documenting the refurb project, pictures, etc., to follow
later in the week.

Cheers

Chip

Chip Mautz

'65 Austin Healey Sprite - too small
'88 BMW 528e - just right
'03 Chevy Suburban - too big

I didn't grow up - my toys just got more expensive.

Your mileage may vary.  My odometer broke years ago...