Re: How Many Piston Rings?

To: "Phil Profili" <Phil.Profili@cptii.com>
Subject: Re: How Many Piston Rings?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:36:16 -0800
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
... and I would add that if they are original pistons, that the ring
lands are worn beyond use. Given your situation, I think new piston
would be a better bet. Realistically, don't think you can do either
without having the ridge at the top of the bore removed or even that
cylinder wear will allow you to use the same diameter that you have
now. End gap on the rings on a 1098 is .012 -.028 inches. More than
that and you'll still have problems.

Personally, I have never removed pistons from an original engine that
were useable.

Gerard