Steering Wheel removal

To: Guy.Weller@kencomp.net
Subject: Steering Wheel removal
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 08:14:43 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Once you've got the steering wheel off be very careful reassembling the
assembly. I managed to crossthread the large nut on the steering column when
reassembling and really managed to bugger it up. Needed to get a thread file,
found one at Sears Hardware in the proper pitch, and worked diligently to
restore the damaged threads. There is a BF lock washer under the nut and I
reassembled without hte lock washer in place as I was afraid I'd totally strip
the threads on the column. I also ordered a new nut from the usual suspects.
Nut is made from some sort of tin so it is supposed to get stripped before the
top of the steering column if you accidentally cross thread.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH
Do you Yahoo!?