Re: dzus fasteners for bonnet with any abuse report

To: kentmclean@mindspring.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: dzus fasteners for bonnet with any abuse report
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:59:07 -0500 (EST)
Re:  Spitfire bonnet latches

Better be good w/ that welder.

After owning 2 Spits and seeing what the vibrations do to it, and driving
around looking cool w/ one or both latches open (vibrations kick 'em up), I've
developed a love/hate relationship w/ them.

The Spitfire has the best hood to engine clearance I've ever witnessed
personally.  Apart from a vehicle where you can actually take off (easily) the
entire bonnet and headlights to get at stuff, everything just lifts away and
you can sit on the tire and work on the thing!

But, over time, vibrations, improper opening/closing (never use the latches to
bear weight), and probably just mere usage creates stress cracks up the bonnet
on each side.

Best repair is to weld 'em back up again.  But they'll eventually come back to
haunt you.

Chip

Chip Mautz
Atlanta, GA

'65 Austin Healey Sprite - Too small
'88 BMW 528e - Just right
'03 Chevy Suburban - Too big

911 - Government sponsored Dial-A-Prayer.

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.