Re: Auto Accident Hits Too Close to Home

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Subject: Re: Auto Accident Hits Too Close to Home
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:35:09 -0400 5.0; U)
Cc: gerard <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>, Jacques Le Clainche <hobbycars@cox.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
The Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses teach an effective technique that I
have found works well for both cars and bikes.

Slow down while being tailgated.  Most often, the follower gets the message, or
wakes up, and realizes how close he/she is and backs off.  In those cases where
the offending driver does not back off, you have opened up a bigger safe zone in
front of you where you will be less likely to have to stop quickly, and suffer
the mass of metal up your behind.

Give it a try sometime.  I'm always surprised with how well it works.

jim