Traveling East/home

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Traveling East/home
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 23:40:51 -0400 (EDT)
I apologize to all of the listers that offered places to visit to me and
Sam on the way home from Tucson. Just before I left for Tucson my computer
was infected with many viruses. After 14 hours of expert help, many calls
to Starband , Norton and many others, I installed a new hard drive and
operating system , and am back on line. So I never got to your messages
and couldn't reply to any of them because I was infected.
We bought a 1958 Bugeye from British Car Service and towed it home. This
was a first for me coming to Michigan from the west. It was an experience
I will never forget- from the pine forests of Flagstaff, the huge vistas
of New Mexico, the rolling hills of Oklahoma, the flat places in Indiana.
We were pulling an 21 foot open trailer with a Dodge Durango. It made a
great towing package! It went very well (about 610 miles a day) until
Indianapolis. We did 650 miles that day and pulled into a motel very beat.
The teenage Promise Keepers had taken over the town! When the 3rd motel
had a room ( smoking, handicapped, one double bed) we took it. We went to
sleep only to be awakened by the fire alarm goling off at 5:00 am. A
teenager had been warming a waffle in the microwave and set of the smoke
alarm. We were out of there in 5 minutes -headed home. The transmission
bit the dust just outside of Marion, Indiana. We called AAA, they sent a
rollback and a tow truck. They took us to a Dodge Dealer in Marion. We
called Rick in Ann Arbor to come get us in the store van. He arrived in
mid afternoon, we trans loaded all of our stuff and were off again. The
loose steering box and a heavy cross wind made it hard going, but we were
headed home. The alternator seized up outside Marshall. Mi. We called AAA
again and had a tow truck hook up the van, trailer amd all and he towed us
to an Autozone. We changed the alternator in the sleet storm and contained
home. When I called Elizabeth to come and get me there was a mini blizzard
to drive home in. What a trip!
But I had a great road trip nad we have a new (to us) Sprite.
I'm glad to be back on the Spridget net!
Roger Cotting