Re: Gas tank cleaning

To: george@toycar.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gas tank cleaning
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 05:46:00 EDT
In a message dated 4/20/04 7:57:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
george@toycar.net writes:

> No kidding, I really need to know the best way to clean out old dried gas
> from
> a tank without destroying it's paint job. Boiling/roasting/barbucuing is out
> of the question.  someone had a solution using Coke and something else.

George:

I bought some concrete cleaner from Home Depot that is not Hydrochloric acid
based, but is Phosphoric acid based, the same acid used in rust fixers, and
use it for lots of cleaning.  Great on bathtub scum and grime.  Phosphoric
acid,
in a much weaker dilution,  is what is in mag wheel cleaners and some of the
tub/tile cleaners.  Might be worth a try?  Just the proper safety accessories
of course.  When I use the heavy duty stuff on the shower/tub, I am decked out
in long rubber gloves, safety goggles, and old long clothes.  Never tried it
on a fuel tank before.

--David