Re: FW: The Heater as Cooler - longish bit without LBC content

To: "David Ramsey" <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>, "'Robert E. Shlafer'" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: FW: The Heater as Cooler - longish bit without LBC content
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 07:37:09 +0100
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Crash,
I live in the English Lake District.  We have sheep here that have been bred
on the fells for generations.  They are called "hefted" flocks. This means
that the sheep have learn't their way around the open fells and this
knowledge is passed on from one generation to the next.  If other sheep are
brought in and grazed on the fells they die from exposure in bad weather
because they don't know where to shelter from the rain and snow.
The hefted sheep shelter on the leeward side of walls and rock outcrops -
not on the upwind side.   They know that an obstruction in the airflow on
the upwind side of them reduces the windspeed and they survive.  The hefted
sheep do not drive Spridgets of course, but they do seem to know what they
are talking about.

Guy