Tires - a question & observation

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tires - a question & observation
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:03:22 -0700
Auth-sender: cbking@alum.rpi.edu
Alright all - I went out to Sears to get a spare tire for my Midget.
Three years ago I bought from Sears four 145R13 Dunlops for the Midget.
They're currently on the car with virtually no miles on them. Today I
found out not only does Sears not carry any 145R13 tires, Dunlop not
make any 145R13 tires anymore, and it seems that NOBODY ELSE does
either. And not many seem to do the 165/70R13, either (same diameter).

So I have two questions:
1. Anyone know how funky the car might handle if I bought a 155R13 tire
and needed to use it as a spare with 3 other 145R13 tires? (at this
point, I really dont want to buy 5 new tires...)

2. Longer term, it seems that tire manufacturers are dropping most of
their 13" tires, as fewer and fewer cars on the road actually run them
stock. (hell, even Kias come with 14" wheels now) Any thoughts on
alternates to 13" tires?

-=Chris