Engine Timing Fixed!

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Timing Fixed!
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 15:58:59 -0400
Hi, Spridgeteers -

Thanks to all who contributed advice for my 1275 engine timing problem.  The
distributor drive gear as installed was, in fact, off two teeth
counterclockwise from the "twenty to two" position; however, the slot in the
drive gear was actually  180 out besides.

I shudder to think that I might have dropped that gear down into the sump if I
hadn't asked the list first about removing it.  I just happened to have a
5/16-24 long bolt (thanks, Frank, and thanks to Ed for showing the "special
tool" on his website.

The car started immediately and I ran it for almost 20 minutes at 2000 RPM
until it started pouring fuel out of the vapor canister at the bottom.  Well,
at least it runs.

Cheers!
Steve Byers
Havelock, NC