Re: CA smog testing

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: CA smog testing
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 14:37:08 EDT
In a message dated 5/10/04 1:03:12 PM, grbyrns@ucdavis.edu writes:

> She must have realized I wasn't in her district as she rose to the bait of
> the
> 'should have done your homework' comment I made, and zinged me for not
doing
> MY homework on the smog contribution of the 1975-and newer cars.  Rightly
> so.
> Seeing now that she has done her homework, I can at least respect her
> position
> if not totally agreeing with it.

Glad she at least responded to your letter, I wasn't so lucky.   Since my car
is a 60, it isn't vulnerable, but I pay attention to this stuff anyway--you
never know when the powers will put through something that makes your car
illegal and you then have to fight it out or lose it.   I was concerned
because I
never was able to find the exact text of this bill.

In addition to the Lieber bill, an attempt is now being made to redefine car
collectors in order to exempt their cars as a class. I know none of the
details (just showed up before I left on vacation, with no real good internet
connections for browsing or research.)   Being an old Californian, I am
naturally
suspicious that something like this will result in a very narrow definition
that
exempts all but the most visible collectors (like Leno) and forces all others
out.

By the way, I didn't know you, as a voter, were responsible for statistics
supporting your position.   My biggest problem for a static cutoff date is
that
sooner or later it is going to become unfeasible to find people and equipment
to properly test the old cars, and since you can't test THIS CAR, it can't be
certified.   In other words, it puts the burden of proof on the owner, not the
system and it's a system you can't work with.

At any rate, thanks for the input and for putting your two cents in for US.
Maybe I'll write another letter and sign Bob's name to it.

Annice & Bob Kitterer
The Happy Wanderers
60 Sprite Bugeye in Disguise
66 Sprite Mark III--Still in Boxes