Re: Fans on the carburator intake

To: "DE-BREBISSON,CYRILLE \(HP-Boise,ex1\)" <cyrille@hp.com>
Subject: Re: Fans on the carburator intake
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 14:45:47 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Cyrille,

The design of the computer cooling fan blades is intended to move some air
against little resistance, not act as a compressor.  I imagine it might help
a bit but not as much as a true compressor, whether super or turbo charger.

If it actually works reasonably well to compress some additional air, you
would have a 'blow-through' situation which can cause some carb problems.
The suction needed to draw the fuel past the needle would then be absent,
replaced by a positive pressure that would inhibit the fuel draw.
'Blow-through' systems usually find a way to pressurize the float bowl.
Absent a fix for this phenomenon, you could go very lean at high throttle
and hole a piston. I think this would be the major thing to solve, how to
take a carb designed for 'suck-through' and use it as a 'blow-through'.
Vizard has a chapter on this that is well worth reading.

If successful, you risk dealing with gobs of power, decent mileage (20-25),
more heat, and the sight of 1380-engined Spridgets getting small in your
rearview.

As for the gobs-of-power problem, hardened axles, a full Datsun clutch w/5sp
and front disc brakes are a good idea.  A boost gauge and an O2 sensor are
good tools to protect your motor as your dial in the carb for its new
situation.

Just a note on the mileage: If you're adding boost to a spridget, high
mileage is not a goal.  True value for dollar with a boosted motor comes
from trying to attain the LOWEST mileage you can achieve.  When people ask
what kind of mileage I get with mine, I answer "the lowest I possibly can"

Glen