modified 1500 advance curve survey

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: modified 1500 advance curve survey
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 14:38:52 -0700
Auth-sender: cbking@alum.rpi.edu
Those of you that have modified your 1500's with a hotter cam and/or
better carbs, what distributor/advance curve are you using in
conjunction with it?

I'm looking for some recommendations since I have 3 dizzys and I'm not
sure any of themm will work in my application (Twin SU, TSI 275-4,
flat-top pistons). I'm currently running a mallory dual-point, but I'm
not sure if the advance curve is right. It's also rather large, and for
that reason I'm not sure I want to keep using it.

I also have a 45D4 points dizzy (41449) from a Triumph 1500TC. this one
didn't seem to advance much, and upon disassembly I found a loose
primary spring and an 8 degree cam. This is the stock dizzy for most
UK-spec 1500 Spits and Midgets, and would have been a good starting
point if it worked.

Finally, I have the dizzy my engine originally came with - a 45DM4
(41808A), the CEI ignition that BL installed as a replacement for the
failing OPUS units. I don't know the curve, but it has a 10 degree cam.
This one functions fine, but I'm still unsure if the advance curve is
right.

So, what are you guys using and how well does it work for you?

Thanks!

-=Chris