Re: Leaf spring installation

To: "Chris King" <cbking@alum.rpi.edu>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Leaf spring installation
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:17:14 +0100
Chris,
If the rear shackle is pointing forward, when you lower it onto the wheels
it will be unable to flatten the spring curve as it should, and the ride
height will remain too high.
You need to get that shackle to point backwards, so that as the load comes
onto the spring it will flatten and lengthen into its correct position.
Get a pry-bar and lever through the spring shackle until it flips into a
rear-ward pointing position. You will probably need to do this before
lowering the car onto its wheels and before finally tightening all the rear
suspension bolts. - you do this with the car standing on its own feet, and
after bouncing the suspension a few times to settle/ align the bushes so
that you don't lock in any distortion in the bushes.

Guy