Race budgets (was Re: Phantom Grip

To: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Race budgets (was Re: Phantom Grip
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:52:28 -0700 (PDT)
--- David Lieb <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com> wrote:
> No, I do not have the racing unit designed for
> race-trailer queens. I can't
> afford toys like that.

I realize David's tongue is firmly in cheek (actually,
I think it's sticking out at Flounder), but I must
relate a story from tonight.  I, the Grasshopper, was
telling my TKD Sensei that I'd miss sparring tomorrow
night because I'll be at Blackhawk for this weekend's
race (gee, I can go racing, which is better than bad
sex, or go get head kicked by a 6'7" 5th degree black
belt named Durand Hodges, who has not lost a
competition for 4 years. Hmmm...tough choice).  My
teacher said he wished he had enough money to go
racing (he owns 5 studios, so he ain't poor).  He just
bought new wheels and tires for his Audi, $3500.  This
is within several hundred dollars of what I paid for
my Bugeye race car, with a trailer and two truck beds
full of spares (granted, I'm now in it nearly 3x that,
but it ran in 2002 just as I bought it).  I told him
that, plus mentioned I'd recently seen a race ready
1987 MR2 for under $3K, and he could race in Midwest
Council almost immediately. I even had a flyer crammed
in my gym bag for autocrossing 4th of July weekend,
which in Council consists of doing solo laps around
Blackhawk's track, no pylons or cones. He could do
well with his Audi as it sat. I offered to lend him my
helmet.  He suddenly started with several other
excuses...bottom line is money may keep you from
having the fastest or prettiest car (in my case
both!), but you can go racing if you really want to
with a few thousand dollars and/or some other material
sacrifices.

=====
Ron Soave

"And another thing.....when I gun the motor, I want the whole world to think
it's coming to an end."

- Homer Simpson