Re: $40,000 Bugeye

Subject: Re: $40,000 Bugeye
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:15:03 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 6/18/04 5:39:06 AM, toyman@digitex.net writes:

> Must not be a car museum! For originalities sake, wrong engine, (betcha it
> has a
> ribcase as well) wrong wheels, paint scheme, steering wheel, shift gaiter,
> shift
> knob, some sort of padded crap on the tranny tunnel between the seats. Damn,
> anyone can put together a "museum quality" car based on his example!!!

Just for the record, museums normally don't care all that much about
originality.   I wouldn't say this is a 10-footer or a 50-footer based on a
photo.
However my car, which I drive and which looks really good (in all humility) has
been in the local Museum a couple of times, and we made sure they knew they
were getting a heavily modified car in everything but looks.   They could have
cared less.   Although $40K is pretty steep, if he thinks he can get it and it
really is a top quality car, the more power to him.   I wouldn't take less
for my own.

I don't represent my car as original.   If it were yankee craft it would be
what the hot rodders refer to as a "sleeper".   It can be cleaned up to bear
close inspection and looks better than it did new.   We have more than $10K in
the 1996 frame off which we mostly did ourselves.   (My husband, God bless him,
has never told me how much it really cost, but a couple of times I reminded
him that I hadn't ever wanted much in the way of Jewelry or furs and such--now
tell the man to paint my car or chrome my bumpers!)   We went all out on
parts, etc., and we got exactly what we wanted.   I don't plan to sell it as
long
as I enjoy it but I often "quote" $50K if pressed for a number.   So I'm crazy.
  A checkbook mechanic could have $40K in a Spridget fairly easily, I expect,
but it isn't my problem.

C'mon guys, Spridgets were made for modification.   Concours cars are lovely,
but originality isn't the only criteria for "nice cars".

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"