Flywheel question..

To: spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Flywheel question..
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 22:52:24 -0500
Cc: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Hello all,

        last week I was looking for a flywheel for my 948 powered bugeye.. or
possibly a new ring gear.  I thought that I would check my limited
parts stash before I did anything and lo and behold there was a spare
flywheel  BUT..

The spare flywheel looks like a solid disc of metal with a machined
surface for the clutch disc.  It has 4 holes for mounting to the crank
and the ring gear teeth are one shape (more or less) front to back.

The flywheel on the engine at present , when compared, has the engine
side removed so that there is a thick part where it bolts to the crank
and a thick part where it holds the ring gear.  On the clutch side the
section where it bolts to the crank is a significant depression and
there are 4 bolt holes but also 2 alignment pin holes (I think that's
what they are for) , then a raised section where the clutch disc hits,
then a depressed section extending out to the ring gear.  The teeth on
the ring gear are "normal" at the front but notched toward the engine,
as if someone went the extra effort to take off the extra weight where
the starter would never engage the ring gear teeth.  As if you could
take a large screwdriver and push it into the engine side of a running
flywheel and scrape away the back side of the teeth.

Am I the owner of a competition/lightened flywheel or were there
different types or is one of these for another engine?

If i put on a stock ring gear (THANKS to all who provided hints and
help on that!) will it matter if the teeth are the "normal" way or are
the teeth notched for clearance of something or other?

Thanks again,

Lester